Taylor Swift/Summer Inspired Red Lip Makeup Look

by - 16:55

As summer is drawing to a close, I decided I should do a post for my favourite makeup look of the summer. I was watching/listening to too many Taylor Swift videos and songs and decided that I wanted to try and rock "red lips and rosy cheeks" like Taylor for a while.

 However, most of my red lipsticks are very dark and definitely more suited for Autumn/Winter and then I came across "Rio Rio" in the Topshop makeup line and I instantly fell in love!

This lipstick is the PERFECT summer red, it is orange based but it doesn't make your teeth look yellow. It would suit pretty much any skin tone and just has such a soft, creamy texture...
I couldn't not do a post about this bad boy!

Naturally, it has become a staple in my makeup bag this summer, so I decided to show you how I wear it and hopefully you can try it out for the last few weeks of summer fun!




Firstly here are the products I used on my face- I do have quite problematic skin as you will see in a second so I do wear a heavy coverage on my face, if you are blessed with beautiful skin don't cover it up, maybe just stick to the lighter foundations you lucky devil!




You are about to see my makeup-less face, which is very difficult for me to put out to the internet but I wanted you to see how well my foundation set-up works for those of you that also have pretty problematic skin. I hope this might help a few of you with that too!



Firstly I made sure I had cleansed my face and moisturised to give myself a clean base.
I then used the Bourjois Healthy Mix to even out my skin tone and to give my whole face a nice healthy glow and coverage.


After the Healthy Mix Foundation, I used my Vichy Dermablend over the problematic areas of my face to give these areas a higher coverage. I like to do this as it means the areas of my face which are pretty clear and healthy don't get covered in the thicker foundation and it gives a less "caked on" look. I blend the Vichy foundation in with a Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge to give this area an even higher coverage.





As you can see the second foundation gives me a much higher coverage than the just using the first foundation. I now leave the foundation to work with the temperature of my skin and move on to the eyebrows.  Apologies if these photographs make the base look orange, I was using natural light with these photographs and before the makeup was finished it made me look a little like an Oompa Loompa-but I promise I didn't actually look like that!

Next up I started on the eye makeup. Below is a list of the products I used(there was also an eyeshadow palette that is no longer available but I'll try to like the colours or something similar)



With the eyes I started by putting "Honey Lust" all over the lid and then just blended it upwards towards the crease. I then used "Chase" throughout the crease on a fluffy brush and blended that across towards the outer corner of the eye making sure it was blended properly and repeated this again to give the soft blended look that I wanted.










Now come the tricky part! The liquid liner!
Liquid liner and I are only just becoming friends, for my everyday makeup I usually use a black eyeshadow and an angled brush to line my eyes, but practice makes perfect so don't stress about it too much! That's why cotton buds are your best friend! I always start from the outside corner and line upwards to map out my flick. I then work back on myself until I'm happy with it, it does take time but it is totally worth it!
Once I've got both eyes lined to perfection(ahaha if only!), I use the waterproof Topshop liner along my waterline just to bring it together.


After the majority of the eye makeup is done and there is no risk of falldown from my shadow(I find Urban Decay shadows can be quite bad for this), I continue with the rest of my base. I use the Rimmel Lasting finish in two shades, a lighter one for under my eyes and a slightly darker one for the rest of my face. 
I put a good amount of coverage under my eyes and also on the sides of my face/cheeks(where my skin is most problematic), and on any other areas that might need a little extra coverage. I blend this with another Real Techniques sponge until it has worked into the foundation. 
Then I use the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer under my eyes and around the corners of my nose to bring all of it together and to give a more flawless base.


After everything has had time to settle I powder my entire face to set it all. I then use my bronzer to bring it to life a little, blending it in the hollows of my cheeks, across the forehead and a little on the temples, down the nose and under the jawline. This just gives my face a little bit more definition. I then use whatever product is left on my fluffy eyeshadow brush and just blend that under my eyes to soften the look a little.


After all that I use my MAC highlighter down my cheekbones, down my nose, on my cupids bow and across the brow bone. Then a little sweep of the Revlon Blush to give that nice summer glow to the skin.
Then it's on with the mascara and all that is left is the whole reason this look was created!


Below are the two lip products used.

(All the product photographs are slightly dark because they were taken at nighttime and I didn't have good lighting-apologies!!)

With the lip I just used the liner to give my lips a bit of shape and to make them look fuller. I find it also helps to use a lip liner when doing a red lip as it helps the lipstick stay in place and it makes it easier for you to keep it looking sharp. 
Next I put on the lipstick, blot it, and then repeat this a few times until the colour is as strong as I want it. It is important to blot lipstick(especially a red one) as it helps build it up which will give it a lot more staying power and it will stop the lipstick from bleeding or from transferring onto glasses, etc.
This lipstick is so nice on the lips and has a really good colour. It also doesn't dry out as much as most lipsticks do when they have been on for a while. It's very nourishing, which is amazing considering it's only £8.00!!!
Bravo Topshop!







So there you have the finished look! I hope you like this and I also hope it has inspired you to release your inner Swift and rock the red lip look for the rest of summer!
Please let me know what you thought of it or if you have any questions about the look or the products used! 
Also congrats for getting to the end of this, I know there are a lot of pictures but I wanted to make sure I could give an accurate-ish account of every stage of the look! 

Love,                          
Kayleigh Rose    


You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot!
    Red lips

    ReplyDelete